Vegetable Pasta Soup
This soup eats like a meal, thanks to a garden’s worth of veggies and a healthy helping of whole wheat pasta.
|Serving size:||2 cups|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Cook time:||25 minutes|
|Total time:||45 minutes|
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
2 carrots, chopped
1 large onion, diced
1 zucchini, chopped
1 14.5 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes with green chilies, with liquid
2 14.5 ounce cans low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or dried basil
2 cups small whole wheat pasta (shell or macaroni)
6 cups fresh spinach leaves (about ½ pound)
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, vegetables and tops of cans.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onions and carrots. Cook until the vegetables are softened (about 3 minutes), stirring often.
- Stir in zucchini and canned tomatoes. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, water, salt, and Italian seasoning or dried basil. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pasta and spinach. Return to a boil.
- Cook until the pasta is tender, about 8 minutes
- Packaged, prewashed spinach does not need to be washed. Spinach that is not packaged should be rinsed under running water before using.
- Try using kale, collard greens, or a 10-ounce package of frozen spinach in place of fresh spinach.
- Use washed and diced garden tomatoes and homemade broth if they are available. Keep cut tomatoes cold until you need them.